Lutra was set up to support early career artists, with any level of experience, interested in developing traditional prints or drawings.
Print editions can provide artists of all disciplines with extra income and/or a supportive, archivable addition to other work
Lutra is run by artist and technician Ellen Burroughs.
A more detailed and expanded version of this page is available when viewing this site on a larger screen.
- Lutra produces high-end print editions using a range of processes.
- Lutra offers artists with any amount of experience the resources and support to develop editions of prints, basic publications or drawings to exist alongside work or projects.
- Lutra prioritises early career artists, providing an affordable, accessible service for those who normally work outside of drawing and printmaking interested in exploring these processes.
- We are also open to artists who are experienced printmakers, but who would like to use the workshop facilities, just contact us
- Lutra believes print and drawing editions can develop from, or respond to video, text, sound, sculpture, performance or drawing, really anything!
Print can play with still or moving image, line, layering, movement, colour or text.
- Print can respond to existing work or be used in the development of new work.
- Editions provide artists with something valuable, unique and tangible which can be exhibited, archived and/or sold.
- Lutra was launched in response to the artists pledge movement and the growing need for artists, projects and organisations to generate income independently as public funding reduces.
- Lutra also values the health benefits of artists working directly with tools and materials immersed and focussed in a studio environment, with support and encouragement from an experienced and dedicated technician.
- Ellen is knowledgable on a range of materials and technology. The studio runs it’s own experimental research into materials with a particular focus on colour. The studio stocks uniquely specialised inks and has an extensive library of paper and card possibilities.
- Print can be a good way of working collaboratively with groups in more publicly engaged projects.
- Any artist who is curious about Lutra should contact us directly- we receive any communication of interest with enthusiasm!
- Following a consultation (at the studio or online), looking at existing work, research or ideas, themes or material requirements, a plan is agreed; including research into materials and processes, experimentation and the supported development of technical skills where appropriate.
- Every project is unique, so planning, consistent support and direct communication are all important. Ellen will adapt to limitations of time, scale and budget.
- Print works can develop from video, text, sound, sculpture, performance and drawing, really anything!
- With critical understanding and technical knowledge, Ellen provides support for the planning, developing and production of editions or unique works.
In response to Covid 19, Lutra will:
- Begin every exchange via zoom or over the phone.
- Limit to 2 people in the workshop at any time.
- Keep the workshop well ventilated and clean.
- Encourage working outdoors in the garden where possible.
- Wear masks and keep hands clean.
Ellen Burroughs has worked as an artist and art technician for over 10 years.
Proficient, qualified and experienced in printmaking, bookbinding and art fabrication, she has worked in a number galleries, museums and Higher Education institutions, as well as running freelance workshops and writing and delivering short courses. Ellen is currently an MA student of Print at the Royal College of Art.
With a unique understanding of how print can be developed alongside existing projects, both practically and contextually, Ellen applies critical understanding and technical knowledge to support the planning, developing and production of editions or unique works.
Ellen is knowledgable on a range of materials and technology. The studio runs it’s own experimental research into materials with a particular focus on colour. The studio stocks uniquely specialised inks and has an extensive library of paper stock samples from around Europe.